Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Elenium and Tamuli series by David Eddings

So...every once in a while I branch out from YA/Teen literature and read something different. I've been an avid fan of David Eddings since I discovered his books in high school. I, like most of his fans, started off with the Belgariad series. While most fans have issues with the Elenium and Tamuli series, I really do enjoy them. Actually, I enjoy pretty much everything by David Eddings, may he rest in peace, because he was a fabulous author. And I really got his humor (which is sarcastic or dry...like mine!).

So...we'll start with the Elenium series. This series is made up of 3 books...The Diamond Throne, The Ruby Knight, and The Sapphire Rose. They feature a knight in his late thirties--a hardened warrior who fights for his church, but also serves as the Queen's champion. The Church Knight's name is Sparhawk, and he really is a disagreeable fellow. He returns from exile at the beginning of The Diamond Throne to find his queen has been poisoned and is near death. His quest is to find a cure, save the queen, and then the world.

It's hard to talk about the Tamuli series without giving some things away, but suffice to say, Sparhawk survives the battles and such in the first series. The three books in this series are called Domes of Fire, The Shining Ones, and The Hidden City. Sparhawk is once again called upon to save the world, with the help of his friends.

What I love about these books: There are good guys and bad guys and they're battling over the world. There's humor, there's adventure, and no swearing or sex (well, the swearing is there, but they aren't our swearwords). It's good wholesome fun. There's violence, but I mean, when you're fighting evil gods and have knights...of course there's going to be fighting! Whenever I have a teen looking for a good fantasy, I direct them to these books.

No comments:

Post a Comment