Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Columbine by Dave Cullen

I'm not a big non-fiction reader, but I decided to pick up Columbine after reading an interview of the author by Patrick Jones in VOYA (Voices of Youth Advocates) this past December.

I couldn't have had better guide. I was a senior in high school when the school shooting at Columbine happened--and much like everyone else--I bought into the myths and rumors about the whole situation. I remember not wanting to turn on the news because of what they might be saying, and I definitely was not impressed when we had a bomb threat called in to our school just a couple weeks later. We were not allowed to carry backpacks or our coats around.

Reading Columbine opened my eyes to the events that took place that fateful day and a few reasons why--there were none. I can't even express how I felt about this book adequately--maybe it's easier to say it's worth the read. I read it in two days--it would have been one day had I not had to sleep or work.

It's a work delving into the psyche of two boys without drowning in their reasons, and we skim the surface of tragedy. This is not a light-hearted work by any means, but Cullen creates a story that relays facts and emotions without bombarding you with them. A fantastic book. I highly recommend anyone pick it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment